Parallel Time - The Unofficial Donnie Iris SiteDAWNIE talk
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Official Donnie Iris & The Cruisers 2009 "Ah! Live!" Thread
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Has nobody else listened to this CD? No comments? D:)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:15 am 
Pretender

First off..Production is friggin awesome!!

Like others, I was like great, another live album of similar songs selections... although, after listening...it sounds great.

and of course, "Your Touch" ... man wouldn't we all like a full album of energized new material with the Albritton and Kevin?

I've come to the conclusion despite my wants...it's really about their wants at this point in their career and what makes them happy and wanting to continue on their musical paths..

I'm just pleased that they continue to record and we have all these releases to enjoy...

back to the release at hand...I really think they out did themselves on the production end of this recording....Marks organ/keyboards are incredible...and Marty's playing is awesome.. and overall ..Lub u too Paul.. U:) ..it's a hands down great recording regaurdless of material choices... my wish is it would have included ttwlotb

To close...A BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO CYNDI FOR THE HOOK UP....without everyone here at parallel-time, I'd be in the dark and unable to enjoy what goes on there from here in Dallas.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:00 am 
Site Admin

HowlinRob wrote:
First off..Production is friggin awesome!!

Indeed.

HowlinRob wrote:
and of course, "Your Touch" ... man wouldn't we all like a full album of energized new material with the Albritton and Kevin?

I'm always up for new material.... Albritton is great... Paul is great.... Kevin is essential.

HowlinRob wrote:
I've come to the conclusion despite my wants...it's really about their wants at this point in their career and what makes them happy and wanting to continue on their musical paths..

Good point.

HowlinRob wrote:
back to the release at hand...I really think they out did themselves on the production end of this recording....Marks organ/keyboards are incredible...and Marty's playing is awesome.. and overall ..Lub u too Paul.. U:) ..it's a hands down great recording regaurdless of material choices... my wish is it would have included ttwlotb

Superb production. Would be great to eventually get more of what was recorded at these two shows down the line even if just via download.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:16 am 
Rapper

OK, OK, FINALLY got to give this a listen (was crazy at home after we got back from the concert for a whole week!), in total agreement on the production side, it was done quite well, did Albritton do "Your Touch"? (I missed something?) Haven't have time to really look at the entire CD yet, just a listen and a half so far, I know, shameful. My only (first impression, so may change) down side comment is on Donnie's vocals in some places, sounds like they were cut back a little too much, something seemed odd to me about that. ALL the instrumentals are KILLER. Mark's organ work ROCKS!!!!!!! I love that B-3!!!!!!! Paul kicks butt also and Kevin's drumming is stellar! I also think it is better produced (sound wise) than Nick's. It's VERY clean!!!!!!!!! I'll add a few more comments after a couple more listens.

Mike 8-)

Edit Note: OK, looked at the CD sleeve, got my s*** together. See that Albritton did do the first song. More later........ Crazy day yesterday in Minnesota, just keeps getter more bizarre each day!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:23 pm 
Yinzer

Just gave the Ah Live CD a dedicated listen from start to finish. Excellent piece of work. Very well produced, very clear sound, and the big beef organ has a major presence.....perfect. Special thanks to the band for their efforts in releasing this CD....much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:34 am 
Rapper

Yes, have listened to this CD many more times at various times in the few weeks, still my only (minor) problem is Donnie's vocals in a few places, stilll a little to 'in the background' in a couple places. So don't know if that was intentional or what?? But then again, in other places he booms like he should. Yes, the recording is excellent overall, clean, well produced, well mixed, great job guys, much appreciated for your years of great music!!!!

Mike 8-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ** Official Donnie Iris & The Cruisers "Ah! Live!" CD Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm 
Yinzer

I've finally received a copy of Ah! Live! and have listened a few times. I do agree with the previous posts as to the quality of the recording. Superb! Rick Witkowski almost always does a great job, though this one is definitely better than his work on the Live at Nick's Fat City CD. I've heard many of Rick's live recordings over the years and 90% of the time it is top notch!

Personally, I would chosen other songs to include on this CD. Nothing wrong with any of these performances and nothing wrong with the quality of the recording and mixing. I just prefer to have the CD used for original material rather than cover songs, and for later original material. Song specific comments:

Little Black Dress - a keeper
Soul Man - would rather have something from Ellwood City or Poletown
Sweet Merilee - though it is an older original, it's a version I've not heard, so good choice!
King Cool - again, an older original, but a great version. I'd keep it.
I Can't Hear You - I don't need another live recording of this one. Would rather have something else.
Rocque Fantastique - good job! Donnie's vocals are clearer on this live recording than on the studio version. A keeper.
I Can't Really Miss You - another good job. Enjoy having this one on this CD.
LILAR, A!L! and The Rapper - really don't need yet another live recording of these songs. I would have put other songs on this CD.
Hush - I finally get to hear DI&C perform this song. While I enjoy it, again, I would have chosen another song because it is not an original.

While I am grateful that DI&C continue to record and perform, I can't help but wish that they would behave as more of a contemporary band and not keep going back to the hits from 25 years ago! They've got plenty of modern, original compositions. Promote the newer songs, please!

Just my 3 cents worth!

Ed

Post subject: Re: ** Official Donnie Iris & The Cruisers "Ah! Live!" CD Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:02 am 
Yinzer

I cannot seem to order this thru the official page. It appears to be a dead link. Goes to paypal without a link to buy. I would love to be able to hear this CD. Can anyone out there please help?